WalkAide: A major step forward in the treatment of foot drop!
The WalkAide® is a medical device that, after more than a decade in development, has been improving walking ability of people suffering from drop foot. The condition is caused by weakness or paralysis of the muscles involved in lifting the front part of the foot (i.e. M.S., stroke, and incomplete spinal cord injury), which causes a person to experience symptoms such as dragging the toe of the shoe on the ground or slapping the foot on the floor.
Invented by a team at the University of Alberta, WalkAide® uses functional electrical stimulation to restore the typical nerve-to-muscle signals in the leg and foot, effectively lifting the foot at the appropriate time during the gait cycle. The resulting movement is a smoother, more natural and safer stepping motion. Users are able to walk faster and for longer distances with less fatigue. In fact, many people who try WalkAide® experience immediate and substantial improvement in their walking ability, which increases their mobility, functionality, and overall independence.
WalkAide® uses advanced sensor technology to actually analyze the movement of the leg and foot. The system sends electrical signals to the peroneal nerve, which controls movement in the ankle and foot. These gentle electrical impulses activate the muscles to raise the foot at the appropriate time during the gait cycle. Although highly advanced, WalkAide® is surprisingly small and quite easy to use. It consists of a battery-operated, single-channel electrical stimulator, two electrodes, and electrode lead cable. WalkAide® is applied directly to your leg — not implanted underneath the skin — which means no surgery is involved. A cuff holds the system comfortably in place, and it can be worn discreetly under most clothing. With the WalkAide’s® patented Tilt Sensor technology, most users do not require additional external wiring or remote heel sensors.
For more information on the WalkAide® System please call Nolan Hayday - WalkAide Advisor - at (780) 452-5771 ext. 206 or Toll Free at 1-800-387-5053 ext. 206.
|WalkAide Introduction Video|
|AFO or WalkAide|
|New Bi-Flex Cuff|
5 Reasons Why You Will Love The WalkAide
- Bi-Flex Cuff: Easy to use & improved design.
- No Heel Sensor Required - Walk without footwear and wear sandals!
- Patented Tilt Accelerometer - Promotes natural, efficient gait pattern.
- One "AA" Battery - Lasts approximately 30 days.
- Self-Contained System - No remote controls, no external wires!
|WalkAide Bi-Flex Cuff|
The New Pediatric WalkAide System
The Pediatric WalkAide System is an advanced Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) System for the treatment of Foot Drop in children caused by upper motor neuron injury such as:
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
- Stroke (CVA)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (HSP)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
This technology is no different than the device Karl Hager Limb & Brace has been offering but does feature specific programming and an extra small Bi-Flex cuff. The new Pediatric WalkAide features several key advantages not found in other FES systems:
- Pediatric Cuff: Designed to fit small children
- Pediatric Programming Options: Amplitude, Frequency, Pulse Duration settings for sensitive cases are well-tolerated
- Personalized Solution: Adaptive program & modular components through growth and maturity
- Self-Contained System: Single unit system with no extra pieces, ideal for playful kids
- Single Battery Operation: Operates up to 30 days on one AA battery, with no need for nightly recharges
- Patented Accelerometer: Promotes natural, efficient, and safe multidirectional walking
- Freedom in Footwear Option: Allows kids to have more freedom in footwear or no shoes at all
The Pediatric WalkAide is a single-unit system which is worn below the knee. It is lightweight and fully operable with one hand. Utilizing patented tilt sensor technology, the WalkAide stimulates the nerve to lift the foot at the right time during walking, promoting a more natural, efficient and safe walking pattern. WalkAide users have the freedom to walk with or without footwear, up and down stairs and even while sidestepping.
The Pediatric WalkAide, as an alternative to traditional bracing, engages existing nerve pathways and muscles. The active recruitment of muscles results in the reduction of atrophy and walking fatigue – a common side effect of bracing. For more information about the WalkAide System please visit www.walkaide.com or contact our office.
The silicone cover is now available as an optional accessory. The custom designed WalkAide Silicone Cover provides added protection to the WalkAide Control Unit. Simply slide bottom of cover up and over the control unit. To access controls use “pull tab” to pull cover up and away and then back over the control unit.
Introducing the NEW WalkAide Silicone Cover
· Designed only for WalkAide users
· Protects from abrasions, environmental elements (such as rain, snow, dust or mud), accidental spilled liquids (drinks) and light impacts
· Protect patient investment
Features & Benefits:
· Designed to fit the Bi-Flex Cuff and all WalkAide models
· Simple solution providing easy donning and doffing with one hand
· Does not interfere with lights or alarms
· Lightweight and easy to clean
· Low profile
Patient Use Suggestions:
· Recommended for Pediatric users
· Recommended for Active Users
· Recommended for Bi-lateral Users